frameworks or shared?
Ondřej Čada
2013-02-01 14:05:43 UTC
Hello there,

I need to share some common code betw. a couple of closely related projects.

It seems to me it is not really worth a framework, rather I think I'll simply move some sources and components and other resources to a separate folder and just share them between the projects, having Eclipse to manage them as external to the project folder. The main reason is that I'm often cleaning&re-building whole project(*), and that in Eclipse, unless I am missing something, it would be a considerably smaller PITA with one project than with two separate projects, the main one plus a framework.

The slightly longer build time is not an issue here.

Well, forewarned, forearmed: before I start, did you one or the other, and found some unexpected (dis)advantages? Would you perhaps for some reason strongly recommend the framework approach even in this case? Might there perhaps be some problem with external components in WOLips/Ant builds or something like that?

(*) the main reason is that my sources are mostly Groovy, and I've found that partial rebuilds (not speaking of injection of code into running app) are alas _extremely_ unreliable with groovyc, mainly (but not exclusively) due to its closures.

Thanks for the advices,
---
Ondra Čada
OCSoftware: ***@ocs.cz http://www.ocs.cz