Vending Applications on private address servers through one public address
Chad Pilkington
2011-03-01 15:25:34 UTC
What I would like to do is have one OSX server with a public IP
address and a private IP address and multiple OSX servers with private
IP addresses. The private servers would have the instances of the
WebObjects applications on them. All the requests from the web would
come to the public IP server which would more or less work as a proxy
and would vend the instances of the applications on the private IP
servers. Is such a thing possible? If so can anyone direct me to a
resource on how to set it up.

I know that the JavaMonitor Load Balancing does something similar but
I believe, I could be wrong, that the other servers need to have
public IPs that have the application instances. I also don't need
multiple instances of the same webobjects application.

Chad Pilkington
***@shadowbase.com
Chuck Hill
2011-03-01 18:19:21 UTC
What I would like to do is have one OSX server with a public IP address and a private IP address and multiple OSX servers with private IP addresses. The private servers would have the instances of the WebObjects applications on them. All the requests from the web would come to the public IP server which would more or less work as a proxy and would vend the instances of the applications on the private IP servers. Is such a thing possible? If so can anyone direct me to a resource on how to set it up.
You are making it too complicated. That is how WO is normally run. The public facing server runs Apache with the mod_webobjects module. It accepts traffic only on 80 and 443 (for SSL) on that IP. The other servers run the WO apps. mod_webobjects is the proxy.

Chuck
I know that the JavaMonitor Load Balancing does something similar but I believe, I could be wrong, that the other servers need to have public IPs that have the application instances. I also don't need multiple instances of the same webobjects application.
Chad Pilkington
Chuck Hill Senior Consultant / VP Development

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.