Stumped on "Attempt to insert null object...." when connecting to DB
Lon Varscsak
2009-03-20 22:14:25 UTC
I have a new project I'm working on that connects to Sybase (I've been
working with Postgres lately...and haven't done a sybase wo project in
years). I created a new model, I can connect to the database through Entity
Modeler in Eclipse just fine. Whenever I ask for an "availableChannel" on
the EODatabaseContext I get this exception:

Mar 20 15:07:02 DataBuilder[2500] WARN er.extensions.eof.ERXModelGroup -
The EOModel 'erprototypes' has an empty connection dictionary.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Attempt to insert null object into an
com.webobjects.foundation.NSMutableDictionary.

at com.webobjects.foundation.NSMutableDictionary.setObjectForKey(
NSMutableDictionary.java:68)

at com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.JDBCContext.connect(JDBCContext.java:230)

at er.extensions.jdbc.ERXJDBCAdaptor$Context.connect(ERXJDBCAdaptor.java:248
)

at com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.JDBCContext._tryConnect(JDBCContext.java:362)

at com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.JDBCContext._channelWillOpen(
JDBCContext.java:505)

at com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.JDBCChannel.openChannel(JDBCChannel.java:111)

at com.webobjects.eoaccess.EODatabaseChannel._openChannel(
EODatabaseChannel.java:713)

at com.webobjects.eoaccess.EODatabaseContext.availableChannel(
EODatabaseContext.java:1324)

at com.smarthealth.database.util.SPEOUtilities._connection(
SPEOUtilities.java:38)

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here...I'm sure I'm missing something
obvious, although I can do the same thing with a Postgres project and not
get the error. Of note, I don't think a plugin for sybase exists, so I'm
just using the JDBCPlugin.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lon

P.S. -- Using WO 5.4.3 with Wonder nightly from a couple of weeks ago.
Lon Varscsak
2009-03-20 22:27:34 UTC
lol, Chuck...you should get that cough looked at....although I did like what
came out. :)
I'm still missing something...hopefully you still have
some informational-phlegm left.

I specified com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.SybasePlugIn in the model, but I
still see this in the log:

Mar 20 15:20:55 DataBuilder[2500] DEBUG NSLog - Using JDBCPlugIn
'com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.JDBCPlugIn' for ***@2610469

and I still get my error.

-Lon
Post by Lon Varscsak
[...]
<cough>
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSXServer/Reference/WO54_Reference/com/webobjects/jdbcadaptor/SybasePlugIn.html
<cough>
Post by Lon Varscsak
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lon
P.S. -- Using WO 5.4.3 with Wonder nightly from a couple of weeks ago.
Chuck Hill Senior Consultant / VP Development
Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall
knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.
Chuck Hill
2009-03-20 22:37:51 UTC
Post by Lon Varscsak
lol, Chuck...you should get that cough looked at....although I did
like what came out. :)
I'm still missing something...hopefully you still have some
informational-phlegm left.
I specified com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.SybasePlugIn in the model,
Mar 20 15:20:55 DataBuilder[2500] DEBUG NSLog - Using JDBCPlugIn
and I still get my error.
How are you specifying it? What is the URL? Are you using Wonder to
set the connection dictionary into all of the models? I am guessing
that you don't have this configured, but I could be wrong.

Chuck

Lon Varscsak

Lon Varscsak
2009-03-20 23:17:44 UTC
I dug up the docs on what you were talking about and I set it all and I
still get an exception (although it is using the SybasePlugIn now):

Mar 20 16:16:01 DataBuilder[2500] WARN er.extensions.eof.ERXModelGroup -
Clearing previous class descriptions

Mar 20 16:16:04 DataBuilder[2500] DEBUG NSLog - Using JDBCPlugIn
'com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.SybasePlugIn' for ***@10651400

Chuck Hill
2009-03-20 23:27:59 UTC
Post by Lon Varscsak
[...]
Before your first database access (but after Wonder has done it's
thing), get EOModelGroup.defaultModelGroup().models() and iterate over
it printing out the model name and connection dictionary. The answer
is in there somewhere.

Chuck

Lon Varscsak
2009-03-20 23:47:47 UTC
It seems reasonable (I removed passwords and server/port):

Mar 20 16:45:40 DataBuilder[2500] INFO NSLog - erprototypes

Mar 20 16:45:40 DataBuilder[2500] INFO NSLog - {driver =
"com.sybase.jdbc3.jdbc.SybDriver"; password = "<password>"; plugin =
"com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.SybasePlugIn"; username = "varscsak"; }

Mar 20 16:45:40 DataBuilder[2500] INFO NSLog - product

Mar 20 16:45:40 DataBuilder[2500] INFO NSLog - {plugin =
"com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.SybasePlugIn"; username = "varscsak"; driver =
"com.sybase.jdbc3.jdbc.SybDriver"; password = "<password>"; URL =
"jdbc:sybase:Tds:<servername>:<port>"; }

-Lon
Chuck Hill
2009-03-20 23:49:43 UTC
Post by Lon Varscsak
Mar 20 16:45:40 DataBuilder[2500] INFO NSLog - erprototypes
Mar 20 16:45:40 DataBuilder[2500] INFO NSLog - {driver =
"com.sybase.jdbc3.jdbc.SybDriver"; password = "<password>"; plugin =
"com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.SybasePlugIn"; username = "varscsak"; }
Me, I see no URL in that. And it is complaining about there being no
URL. Seems unlikely that is a co-inkydink. I don't use that part of
Wonder so you are alone in the wilderness.

Chuck

Lon Varscsak
2009-03-21 00:00:36 UTC
I've never done anything special with erprototypes, but it is in my other
projects and not causing any issues. However, I did just remove it (the
ERPrototypes framework) from my project and the error goes away! So you did
solve the issue...I just don't get what's different...but I'm not sure that
I care now. :)
Thanks for your time,

Lon
Lachlan Deck
2009-03-21 00:34:11 UTC
Post by Lon Varscsak
I've never done anything special with erprototypes, but it is in my other
projects and not causing any issues. However, I did just remove it (the
ERPrototypes framework) from my project and the error goes away! So you did
solve the issue...I just don't get what's different...but I'm not sure that
I care now. :)
Thanks for your time,
I was under the impression that erprototypes (and any prototypes for
that matter) shouldn't have a connection dict.

Have you set this property?
er.extensions.ERXModelGroup.prototypeModelNames=foo,bar,erprototypes
Post by Lon Varscsak
[...]
with regards,

Lachlan Deck
Lachlan Deck
2009-03-21 00:40:24 UTC
Post by Lachlan Deck
Post by Lon Varscsak
I've never done anything special with erprototypes, but it is in my other
projects and not causing any issues. However, I did just remove it (the
ERPrototypes framework) from my project and the error goes away!
So you did
solve the issue...I just don't get what's different...but I'm not sure that
I care now. :)
Thanks for your time,
I was under the impression that erprototypes (and any prototypes for
that matter) shouldn't have a connection dict.
Have you set this property?
er.extensions.ERXModelGroup.prototypeModelNames=foo,bar,erprototypes
You can additionally use properties:

dbConnectUserGLOBAL=user
dbConnectPasswordGLOBAL=pass
dbConnectPluginGLOBAL=Sybase
#dbConnectURLGLOBAL=url

and customise as needed:
ModelA.URL=urlA
ModelA.DBUser=userA
ModelA.DBPassword=passA
ModelA.DBPlugin=Postgresql

with regards,

Lachlan Deck
Lon Varscsak
2009-03-21 00:44:52 UTC
I think you're onto something here. In my other project (that uses
Postgres) the ERPrototypes model doesn't have any connection dictionary, but
when I'm in this project it magically has one (and it's not magically
delicious).
Not sure why...but I'm not really using prototypes anyway, so I guess it's
irrelevant.

Thanks,

Lon
-
Lachlan Deck
Mike Schrag
2009-03-20 22:20:46 UTC
Post by Lon Varscsak
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Attempt to insert null object
into an com.webobjects.foundation.NSMutableDictionary.
at
com
.webobjects
.foundation
.NSMutableDictionary.setObjectForKey(NSMutableDictionary.java:68)
230)
/* 230*/ dictionary.setObjectForKey(url, "URL");

so somehow you're ending up with a missing URL in your connection
dictionary ...

ms
Chuck Hill